Thursday 23 October 2014

Worth of Words

Today we've had a visitor speaker at uni (as every Thursday) and in the discussion was the topic of Marketing. I really am not a numbers person, I'm more into letters. Doesn't their combination give you a million more options than the combination of numbers? So there you go, that's one of my reason for being keen of letters/words rather than numbers.
Granted, numbers and maths can be fun too, but they are just not my thing. I promise, though, to give them another chance and try to live with them peacefully.

So all this topic led me to remember to this trend of voting for the most beautiful word of a language.
I know this is done in Spain once a year (the word 'Querétaro' was the winner in 2011)  and it was done in Iceland last year ('ljósmóðir' was the winner, it means 'midwife'). I personally have many favourites in the many languages I speak.
And now, I have decided to do something different this time, due to THE LACK OF INTERACTION IN MY BLOG. So INVITE YOU, READERS to participate! Just write your favourite words, in any language you know, in the comments section!!! 

This could be very fun, and we all can learn words from other languages we don't know, we would like to learn or even languages that we knew but not fully! 



Clarification: This is about words that you like, not expressions you use regularly.
C'mon, let your imagination flow and participate! :D

My choices are:                                                                                       


-Spanish:


  • "tarta": it means 'cake'. It might sound simple and boring, but it really gets to my mind a picture of a spongy, soft, creamy cake. 


  • "hipoalergénico" : it means 'hypoallergenic' and for some reason, I like how it sounds)




-English:



  • "Splendid": I like its musicality, especially when pronounced by Robert Downey Jr.
I'm...just...done.

  • "acquire/acquisition" : me and my best friend Silvia fell in love with this word while taking the course "Applied linguistics to English language" and it really recalls very nice memories of those times).
  • "dandelion": thanks to the fun and great Netflix's show "Orange is the New Black", this word has been taken to a whole new level. It's so much fun to try to pronounce with the same entonation as Crazy Eyes

-Icelandic:
  • "strax" : it means kind of "right now" or "already". I just like words that contain letter 'x' and no way I was going to for 'lax' which means 'salmon'. Just... no.
  • andskotin" : I just like how it sounds. This one is kind of a swear word that means... what? Kind of "fuck"? I don't really know. There aren't actually swear words in Icelandic, and if there are, they are too light, too weak. If there's a good thing to happen out of the Spanish invasion Iceland is suffering now, that is the creation of swear words. Believe you me.


So people, what are your favourite words and why? Play along!




P.S: I'm so happy for writting this, because I messed up with the format somehow and I had to fix it by working with HTML! So proud of myself :D 

8 comments:

  1. ok, let's play
    In Spanish, I like the sound of "CUEVA" (cave), I don't know why, but I thinks it's for the same reason I like the word "ACQUIRE" , they both have the same /k/ sound.
    I also like "INDEED" specially pronounced in a British accent.
    In Italian I really like the words "INFISCHIARE" (not to care about), "CONSAPEVOLE" (aware) and "COMUNQUE" (anyway) this last one, of course, because of the same sound of "cueva" and "acquire".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me has ganado con la referencia a OITNB, pedazo de serie!!
    Pues aporto mi granito de arena con la palabra en francés que significa "dandelion": PISSENLIT (literalmente: pis en la cama). Además de hacer referencia a los efectos diuréticos de la planta (lo acabo de buscar, eso no lo sabía :P) suena bastante graciosa la palabra.

    PD: confieso que también he intentado pronunciar la palabra "dandelion" como Suzanne xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mi compi de resi que es de Andorra me comentó el otro día que dandelion tb es algo así en catalán, pis en la cama! Qué gracioso :p
      De todas las lenguas que sabes, sólo te quedas con esa? xD

      Delete
    2. Bueno, tampoco sé tantos idiomas... por si hay ambigüedad con mi nombre, ya que he visto que otro Diego había comentado en tu post de Facebok, soy el Diego al que este verano dejastéis sin ver orcas ni los fiordos del oeste. :(
      En español siempre me ha hecho gracia la palabra libélula (no tiene explicación) y en inglés no se me ocurre ninguna. Ahora estoy aprendiendo alemán, quizás en unos meses tenga otra aportación.

      Delete
    3. Sí, me equivoqué de Diego, pero aún así hablás más de un idioma. O NO?
      Libélula tb me gusta!
      Sorpréndenos con algo en alemán,v enga. Deleitanos!

      Delete
  3. So I'm the other one, LOL!
    My favourite word in English is 'oleander', I don't know why, just the sound and the differences among the other languages I studied.
    In French it's 'vite', because it sounded funny when I started to study: Vite, vite, à l'hôtel Concorde!
    In Latin it's quite beautiful 'circumsilio' which means to spring, leap, or hop around.
    In Greek I like a lot the verb 'τσουγκρίζω' [tsugrízo], 'crack' in English, v. g., crack some eggs.
    In Spanish my favourite one is 'no', because it's a powerful word and I'm getting grumpy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was boring. Really, the word NO? Boring. Boring. Boring.
      The other Diego did a lot better. Just sayin!

      Delete